What have YOU seen?

Hey, all of you Stearns Mill Pond denizens and users, what have YOU seen on the pond or brook? Contribute your info - what great sightings, what birds, what animals, what sad things, what changes (good and bad), what wonderful moments have there been? Let's share what we know and love about our pond.
Live on the pond or brook?
Become an author on this blog; send me a message and I will add you to the official author list. Or, if you prefer, just click on the word "Comments" at the bottom of the entry to get a comment box up so you can add your sightings and thoughts. Email me pictures from our pond to post - I will credit them to you.
Click on the picture to see it in a larger format (all photos by D.Muffitt unless otherwise credited)

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

RHODODENDRON LEAVES

I could tell it was cold this morning; the Rhododendron leaves had all curled up. Actually, I didn't have any trouble noticing the cold when I was out with the dog at 5:30...  (Thankfully, I've trained him the he does NOT go out as soon as we get up!  I get to do my exercises and such first!)  Back to the Rhodies.  I have noticed this curling every winter, and I wonder at what temperature they curl.  It is clearly when it is below freezing, but is it before that or at 30 degrees or what?  Today it was 23 when we were out.  I found a website on Rhododendron (when I was trying to get the spelling right!).  Maybe they have a question/answer.  (The mountain laurel do this, too - do all of the Azalea plants?)
(10/9/12 - Hey! We got an answer to this question.  Click the "comment" at the end of this post)

Rhododendron leaves curled from the cold

Lots of ripples on the pond when we were on the porch at dawn, before sunrise; didn't see any brown furry things, but there sure was activity.  No ice yet.  Ice in the birdbath, though!  I'll take them some water when it warms up a bit more.

From Suzanne: 
The other night I saw 4 muskrats at once in between our houses.  They would get food and bring it back and all climb on the log and eat.  There were four at once on the log. (Just before dark)
I want to see that!  Gotta hang out down there more in the late afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rhododendron observer,

    The rhododendron leaves will begin to curl at about -.5 C and become completely curled and pendant at -3 C. +/- Rhododendrons and their broad leafed evergreen cousins the laurels are beautiful ancient plants dating back to the pleistocene era. They have thermotropic leaf movements the reasons for which are not fully understood. Some believe that it an adaptation to prevent moisture loss. Others feel that the drop and curl of the leaf prevents snow damage to the leaf itself. Another theory holds that the curling and dropping of the leaves protects them from membrane damage due to solar exposure during cold temperatures and frequent freezing and thawing. In any event the natural world in all of its manifestations is an endless wonder, the observation of which is a yoga practice in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment about things you have seen and noticed.