What have YOU seen?

Hey, all of you Stearns Mill Pond denizens and users, what have YOU seen on the pond or brook? Contribute your info - what great sightings, what birds, what animals, what sad things, what changes (good and bad), what wonderful moments have there been? Let's share what we know and love about our pond.
Live on the pond or brook?
Become an author on this blog; send me a message and I will add you to the official author list. Or, if you prefer, just click on the word "Comments" at the bottom of the entry to get a comment box up so you can add your sightings and thoughts. Email me pictures from our pond to post - I will credit them to you.
Click on the picture to see it in a larger format (all photos by D.Muffitt unless otherwise credited)

Monday, May 6, 2013

MISCELLANEOUS NOTICINGS

It was all misty on the pond this morning when I went out at 6:20ish.  Temperature was 36, and chilly!  I heard kingfishers, and red-winged blackbirds among the other regular yard birds that we hear in the morning. Watched a grackle gathering little twigs and young leaves, probably for nesting material. Also saw a muskrat. The mist was so think in some places that I could hardly see the other shore. The air is cold, but the water is warm (I've noticed that as I pick Water Chestnut nuts out of the pond!)
 
Sunrise through the mist on Stearns Mill Pond (unretouched photo with a Canon Powershot!)


The pond is getting a little bit scummy at this point; things are starting to grow and to float up from the bottom.  I've pulled out about a half bucketful of Water Chestnut nuts (seeds).  They are floating on top and I just grab them and dump them into the bucket.




Scum on pond
 

From last Friday's paddle:
The trees are blooming and hanging over the shore edge.  Pretty.
Geese are noisy, but I love watching them land in the water so smooth. Uh-oh. Two more geese are flying in and landing where the first one was. They don't seem happy that this first goose is in their territory. There's lots of honking and slapping of wings and flying at the intruder. I wonder if the two have a nest somewhere and are protecting it. I know there's a goose nest further upstream, near the mouth of the brook.


The water is low today that's not good.

Why is there an oil slick on the top of the water at our landing? 
Suzanne reports several sightings of a VERY large snapper near the shore and also some piles of shells.  I've seen both all white shells and the shells with purple, iridescent lining.  I'm not up on my shell animals, so I'm not sure what they are.  Could be piles left by muskrats or otter, or even a coon. 

But our pond is so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment about things you have seen and noticed.