What have YOU seen?

Hey, all of you Stearns Mill Pond denizens and users, what have YOU seen on the pond or brook? Contribute your info - what great sightings, what birds, what animals, what sad things, what changes (good and bad), what wonderful moments have there been? Let's share what we know and love about our pond.
Live on the pond or brook?
Become an author on this blog; send me a message and I will add you to the official author list. Or, if you prefer, just click on the word "Comments" at the bottom of the entry to get a comment box up so you can add your sightings and thoughts. Email me pictures from our pond to post - I will credit them to you.
Click on the picture to see it in a larger format (all photos by D.Muffitt unless otherwise credited)

Thursday, October 4, 2012

SOFT, GREY MORNING. MUSKRAT LODGE

What a soft, pretty, grey morning.  The drizzle drops in the pond with little kerplunks; the leaves are coming off of some trees so heavily that it looks like a yellow snow storm; a pair of cormorants are sitting on that incredibly photogenic snag in the lower end of the pond (WHY is my camera home on my desk??).  Ah, the early morning is SOOO peaceful and gorgeous; I can never decide which I like best, pre-sunrise time or about a half hour after sunrise - both are so special, but different.  Gee... guess I'll just have to do both in any given week.  

I went straight to the lower end of the pond, the dam end, this morning trying not to bother the muskrats or otters.  That part of the pond is still looking really good after the harvesting this summer!  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we can get the harvester further west, into the inlet area.  I heard talk of eventually dredging the pond, too.  Wouldn't that be nice, to get rid of all of the toxic sludge deposits from the sewage plant up stream!

Saw the two cormorants, a great blue, a very busy and chattery kingfisher and flushed about 25 wood ducks.  One day last week I counted 57 some wood ducks!  They must be congregating, getting ready to migrate.  The numbers are down, though, so perhaps some just came in to rest and then left again?  Or do they migrate adults first, then the new ones later like some birds?  Anyone know?  Guess it's time to dig out my Kenn Kaufman, Lives of North American Birds.  

I came at the lodge (muskrat? otter?) from a different angle today and couldn't find it until I was very close, so perhaps that's why I hadn't seen it before.  Better look up lodges, too!  Hmmm...  guess I'll be busy researching today.  :-)

Speaking of photogenic branches, this is a shot from several years ago where I was in the right place at the right time - I love the way the line of the bird is so similar to the line of the tree.
Great Blue Heron over Hop Brook, just west of Stearns Mill Pond

 Email me your favorite Stearns Mill Pond or Hop Brook shots and I'll post them (with credit to you, of course!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment about things you have seen and noticed.