What have YOU seen?

Hey, all of you Stearns Mill Pond denizens and users, what have YOU seen on the pond or brook? Contribute your info - what great sightings, what birds, what animals, what sad things, what changes (good and bad), what wonderful moments have there been? Let's share what we know and love about our pond.
Live on the pond or brook?
Become an author on this blog; send me a message and I will add you to the official author list. Or, if you prefer, just click on the word "Comments" at the bottom of the entry to get a comment box up so you can add your sightings and thoughts. Email me pictures from our pond to post - I will credit them to you.
Click on the picture to see it in a larger format (all photos by D.Muffitt unless otherwise credited)

Friday, April 26, 2013

BIRDS EVERYWHERE!

I am trying to get some work done; but the birds are not making it easy!!  I look to the right of my computer window and see from the Cornell nest cam, the cute little eyass chowing down on the piece of chipmunk mom red-tail brought, or if I look up from my screen, the feeder outside the real window is swarming with birds!  Right now I see 4 purple finch males and one female, 2 Carolina wrens, a downy woodpecker, a bright yellow goldfinch in the bird bath, two mourning doves on a tree branch, a junco and a chipping sparrow in the grass, whoops!  Blue jay just came in, scattering all the others.  A robin has arrived and there is a nuthatch taking dog fur from the nesting materials put out for them, two geese just flew over and there is a female wood duck sitting in the tree closer to the pond!   
Female Wood Duck
Earlier, I was out walking the dog at 7:15, and heard this strange sound that didn't sound like any of the songbirds we have around. It was close by so I stopped and really looked. It called again, and I thought. "WOOD DUCK!"  It took a bit of looking, but eventually I found it in the crook of the tree.  It stayed long enough so that I could go in and get my DSLR camera and take some pictures (above).  I don't believe it's nesting out here as I don't see a hole for it and and besides, it's awfully far from the pond, being right out here on the street.  What a cool morning gift thank you world!  

Quick update on our neighborhood screech owl.  After not seeing it for several days, I caught it in its hole 4 times yesterday, so it is still here!  I didn't have binoculars for most of those sightings and wonder if any were little owlettes.    :-)

Hmmm... everyone just left and it is empty!  Must be a hawk somewhere around.  Do I take this time to get back to paying the bills, or go look for the hawk??

1 comment:

  1. Love your observations Diane. Nice shot of your wood duck. And, were I a betting person I'd put odds that you went looking for the hawk. ;-) Barb

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment about things you have seen and noticed.