What have YOU seen?

Hey, all of you Stearns Mill Pond denizens and users, what have YOU seen on the pond or brook? Contribute your info - what great sightings, what birds, what animals, what sad things, what changes (good and bad), what wonderful moments have there been? Let's share what we know and love about our pond.
Live on the pond or brook?
Become an author on this blog; send me a message and I will add you to the official author list. Or, if you prefer, just click on the word "Comments" at the bottom of the entry to get a comment box up so you can add your sightings and thoughts. Email me pictures from our pond to post - I will credit them to you.
Click on the picture to see it in a larger format (all photos by D.Muffitt unless otherwise credited)

Friday, April 12, 2013

HAIKU FOR A COLD SPRING DAY

Haiku have always fascinated me; I love the 5, 7, 5 rhythm of the syllables and the minimalist nature of the poems, and of course, the twist of the last line.  NPR was reading from a haiku contest for Cherry Blossom Weekend in DC this morning, and it got me thinking in haiku today...

A grey cloudy sky,
The sleet's hard and stings my face.
Hmmm... it's mid-April? 


Yes, there's sleet and cold,
But it's a beautiful day -
There are daffodils.


A goose on her nest,
The osprey dives for dinner,
Our pond is alive.

This next one had several last lines; ultimately I went with the chuckle of this one.  So often I feel like I hit a shell.

Bright sun on the pond.
My paddle dips the water.
Whoops. Thwacked a turtle.

OK, OK... how about this, then:

Bright sun on the pond.
My paddle dips and rises,
As my mood goes up.

Check the comment area for haiku from other authors.
Share YOUR nature haiku!!  Leave one in the comments area.


1 comment:

  1. an arching tree branch
    mirroring into water
    circle in nature

    mama goose on nest
    leaves prying their buds open
    promising new life

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment about things you have seen and noticed.